Home / Academics / Biology / Undergraduate Studies / Bi Option Requirements
Bi Option Requirements
The following required courses must all be taken on grades, with the exception of Bi 8 if taken in freshman year and Bi 22. Freshmen taking Bi 8 must maintain shadow grades that indicate satisfactory progress.
- Bi 8, Bi 9, Bi 117, Bi 122, NB/Bi/CNS 150, and Ch 41 abc.
- Ma 2, Ma 3, and any two terms of Ph 2 abc. This requirement can also be satisfied in part by successfully taking a "reasonable" replacement for any of these required courses. A "reasonable" replacement will be defined by: (1) Equally or more advanced quantitative coursework, e.g. Ch 21 a for Ph 2 b, Ch 21 c for Ph 2 c and; (2) Essentially similar scope of subject matter as the course replaced, e.g. BE 25 for Ph 2 c. The Biology option representative will be empowered to make this determination with aid of an advisory list which can be updated as relevant new courses are developed inside and outside of biology.
- One advanced laboratory course (100- or 200-level), or Bi 21 with presentation, or three terms of undergraduate thesis (Bi 90 abc).
- Two courses chosen from Ch/BI 110, 111, and/or BMB/Bi/Ch 170, 173 or Ch 145.
- Scientific writing requirement met by taking Bi/BE 24 (six units), or by taking any other writing course such as En/Wr 84 (nine units) plus oral presentation at SURF Seminar Day or equivalent, with option representative approval.
- A minimum of 8 courses of biology electives must be taken. To count as a biology elective, a course must satisfy the following:
a. The course is not used to satisfy requirement 1-5.
b. 100-level or above.
c. The course must be a biology or a bioengineering course.
d. At least two elective courses must be nine units each, and must be taken for grades.
e. A minimum total of four elective courses must be taken for grades.
- Exceptions are as follow:
a. Substantial lab research for credit (Bi 22) beyond the 12 unit minimum can be counted among the electives.
b. Courses from other options with significant relevance to biology may be used as electives with permission from the biology option representative.
- A minimum total of 170 units of biology must be taken and passed. Bi 1, Bi 2, Bi 10, and BE/Bi/CNS/NB 197 cannot be counted toward this total. Bioengineering courses used for electives can be counted toward this total.
- Passing grades must be earned in a total of 486 units, including the courses listed above.